I've been doing a lot of work since last time and there have been some changes in the design as well!
After I assembled a couple of parts in FreeCAD I realized that I had miscalculated (in my head) the size of some of them 🙁
I had to flip the base plate upside down to make room for the steering cradle and remove the friction wheels, because they wouldn't fit anymore. I also had to make the propel wheel larger to get better grip and to make the ball go a bit faster.
The approximate speed is now somewhere about 10 km/h, which is a quite good speed I think.
The base plate front view - with motors and steering craddle and its servo
Another post is up, about the propel system this time!
I have this idea that the ball will be driven with a motor and a small wheel inside a bigger ring, with a friction wheel underneath.
Sorry for my bad sketch
Finally I think we nailed the printing tolerance measurements! We also changed from white to black ABS filament, which seems to behave more accurately than the white one does.
I added some snap connections and push fittings to the new test piece so we can see if the printer has an accurate repeatability
Today I got my first "missing" parts to propel my ball 🙂 I'm going to make a simple and cheap speed controller by using two 30A brushed plane ESC, less than $9 each.
A couple of days ago I got a mail with an attached film clip of the first printed piece of the skeleton.
The day after, "Dubbear" came to my place and I got it in my own hands so that I could look, bend, squeeze and feel the first printed part of my very first CAD-project!
We took a look at my CAD-files and "Dubbear" showed me that my parts wasn't made as solids. I had simply misunderstood how to build the parts in a correct way!
Later on I did some googling and it turned out that it wouldn't be as much work as I feared to fix the parts into solids.
It's been quite some time since I last wrote something here, before the last post that is 🙂 so it's about time I do so!
It all started when I saw a post on Instructables about a Remote controlled basket ball robot. I immediately started to plan how I could make my own - who doesn't want a remote controlled ballbot!
Since I've got a lot of R/C parts laying around I figured it wouldn't be too expensive to gather the rest of the electronics needed, a DC motor and an ESC.
In the instructable the author used a 7" (17.8cm) hamster ball as the housing for his ballbot. 7" is quite small if you want to fit sensors and other fun stuff into the ball and really make it into a robot, not just a radio controlled ball. Continue reading
I finally made some schematics for the TARDIS! I also noticed some minor design flaws, mostly aesthetical but no show stoppers! Stay tuned for v2.0 😉
The Schematics are a little bit different than usual. I made them on the top layer PNG of the PCB so it will be easier to see where to put the components.
TARDIS-frequenzy_divider Continue reading
Yestarday I finally got my shipping from Seeed Studio! It's always satisfactory to hold and look at a PCB you've designed yourself.
My own time machine
As soon as I get time I will start to draw the schematics for as many circuit layouts as I can find for this PCB. I've estimated it to somewhere about 15-20 different circuits that will be possible to build on the PCB!
Also see: 555 TARDIS
I'm really back in business! This is the second PCB design I've made in the last two weeks!
the Time Machine
I've had an idea for something like this for quite a while now, but a much simpler one.
Originally it was a three-in-one-design with a Monostable, Astable and a LED Dimmer circuit on the same PCB, with a code switch to select desired function.
Now it's more some kind of an experiment board for the 555 IC, about 15-20 different circuits are possible to make. Continue reading